Thursday, July 12, 2007

independent running

Total Distance So Far: 112.0 miles

So, as you probably noticed, I've not blogged since June 28. The reason is because I was happily vacationing for the whole Independence Day week on Whidbey Island.



Needless to say, it was a doggy haven on the water. BEAUTIFUL weather all week long too.

I attempted to stay ontop of my training also...

The day I got there, Sat June 30, I did the 6 mile long run.



See? There I am running with my mom's whippet, Michiko.
Stats...
DISTANCE: 6 miles TIME: 59:44 minutes PACE: 9:59 minute/mile

My mom agreed to play the role of a mobile aid station for me, driving by at 30 minutes with my water bottle. It worked out great! The funny bit about this run was when I was happily chugging along, when out of nowhere a miniature dachsund came charging at me. Not knowing how serious the little dog was, I leapt over the little dog and looked back, the dog was still after me, so I sprinted away from it. Man that was alot of work after running 4 miles.

**************

On Monday, July 2 I did hill ascents up a grassy slope here at Fort Casey



I did 8 nonstop laps of hard runs up the slope and jogging back down the slope. Ofcourse I also did a 10 minute warmup run to the fort from our rental house, and a 10 minute run back home again.
Stats...
warm-up
DISTANCE: 0.91 miles TIME: 10:04 minutes PACE: 11:02 minute/miles

laps
1) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:50 minutes PACE: 7:45 minute/miles
2) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:52 minutes PACE: 8:18 minute/miles
3) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:56 minutes PACE: 8:57 minute/miles
4) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:56 minutes PACE: 8:57 minute/miles
5) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:59 minutes PACE: 8:55 minute/miles
6) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:59 minutes PACE: 8:55 minute/miles
7) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 0:57 minutes PACE: 9:05 minute/miles
8) DISTANCE: 0.11 miles TIME: 1:00 minutes PACE: 9:40 minute/miles

cool-down
DISTANCE: 0.98 miles TIME: 10:03 minutes PACE: 10:15 minute/miles

**************

Happy Independence Day!!

Wednesday, July 4 was a 35 minute run. It was getting a little late in the day, but I was planning on running late cause it was a really warm day. The only thing I didn't count on was the wind picking up. I simply did a 17:30 minute run away from the house, and then turned around and headed back. The return run was directly into the wind... it was pretty intense.

Stats...
DISTANCE: 3.52 miles TIME: 35:02 minutes PACE: 10:01 minute/miles

**************

Saturday, July 7 was a little disappointing for me. I was supposed to do a 10 mile run... and had determined the day before that the lake our rental house was next to was circumvented by a ~5.5 mile road. I was going to circle the lake twice, and walk back to the house in a cool down over the final mile after I hit the 10 mile mark... once again my mom was going to play the mobile aid station and drive by every 30 minutes to allow me a drink of water.

Unfortunately, after a strong start (first 5 miles I was going faster than a 10 minute mile pace and feeling great), at approx 7.2 miles I found my knee suddenly and painfully stiffening up on me, just like on that 6 mile run about a month ago.

I tried walking it out, and then running again, which allowed me to run about 20 more feet before the knee seized up again. I continued the run/walking for about .5 more miles before the mobile aid station came by again... and I admitted if I kept it up I'd be doing more harm than good. I gave up at about 7.8 miles and climbed into the car.

So sad.
Stats...
DISTANCE: 7.8 miles TIME: 1:25:15 PACE: 10:46 minute/miles

After the run, we packed up and headed home.

**************

Sunday, July 8 my mom helped me run another garage sale with the remaining items I still had in my garage, and we did really really well!! About twice as well as my first (rained out) garage sale. THANKS MOM!

**************

Monday, July 9 track session again. We were doing slightly different hill ascents. It involved a lap around the track, and then a hard run up the hill, and then a walk downhill to begin the next lap. Coach Joe was telling me to take it a little easy due to my inability to run 10 miles the previous weekend. I only had to do 4 laps of this course instead of the 6 my fellow inexperienced marathon runners were doing.

Stats...
warm-up
DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10 minutes PACE: 10:00 minute/mile

laps
DISTANCE: 1.83 miles TIME: 18:54 minutes PACE: 10:22 minute/miles

cool-down
DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10 minutes PACE: 10:00 minute/mile

**************

Wednesday, July 11 another 35 minute run. I have to mention my plantar fasciitis plagued foot was KILLING me this morning. I decided to run anyway. I tried to take it easy though.

Stats...
DISTANCE: 3.29 miles TIME: 35:04 minutes PACE: 10:40 minute/miles


AND... that's all folks! We're all caught up! I was supposed to do a 30 minute run today, but I'm going to attempt that tomorrow night instead to give my foot a little more time off to heal.

3 comments:

hana said...

Good for you on keeping up with the training while on vacation. I too tried to keep running while on my vacation, but it was difficult as it topped 100 degrees most days I was there. Running in 94 degree full sun is much different from running in 60 degree overcastness. Ugh. So mostly I didn't do much but lay around like a slug.

jacqueline said...

I did some slug impressions on my vacation too, but my mom was adamant that I keep up with my runs, no matter how tired I was. Looks like she is now considering walking the Portland Marathon too while I attempt to run it (I believe she'll do really well walking a marathon actually).

and heck, if my knee doesn't stop seizing up on me, I may be walking the derned thing too!

Michi's Human said...

It was fun being your mobile aid station. Garage sale was lots of fun, too.

hopefully i'm not being too crazy by thinking i can walk the marathon.