Monday, January 7, 2008

3 mentees(!) + a new honored teammate

I now have 3 mentees:

(1) Teresa... a sweet sounding mom. She's been running since high school and makes sure to run a marathon every year (yeah, ok, WAY more experienced runner than me). Thought she'd be interested in trying something new and doing a half with TNT. She was already working on her letter and website when I called her a day after she registered. I think she's going to have no problem with TNT, and will really enjoy herself.

(2) Nicki... another mom. She is not an experienced runner, but was actually thinking about maybe doing the Anchorage marathon instead of Roses. She'll decide for sure later. She knows several people who have done TNT in the past and have been motivated by them. She's also brainstorming having a poker tournament or garage sale to help her fund raise. I like how she's thinking.

(3) Sheryl. Now, not only is she a TNT alum, but she actually ACCOMPANIED ME on the last 4 or so miles of the 2007 Portland Marathon when SHE was a mentor and I was a participant. She has registered for the Race for the Roses as a participant this time, and requested me as her mentor. coolness.


Also, today we got the email introducing us to our honored teammate: Joan Griffith.

She has a blog outlining her cancer experience at joangriffith.blogspot.com.



Her story is amazing, so I have no doubt she'll help inspire and motivate our participants for our event to work towards their fund raising goals and work to conquer their own personal challenges in training.

Other than that... I need to think of some activity I can do with my mentees in a group (we were told that the program would like us to do a social kind of thing with our own group once during the season... so I need to brainstorm on this).

Any ideas?

I'll have a group of (hopefully) 8-10 mentees by the time we're done recruiting too...

No comments: