Wednesday, April 2, 2008

the virus and the half marathon

I'm sick.

Been sick since Wednesday last week. Started as a horrible sore throat, over the weekend it spread to a stuffy head, runny nose, and swollen sinuses. I skipped the Saturday morning group run, but it was ok cause we're tapering right now and it was only a 6 mile run. Coach Joe and Captain Karl both told me to stay home.

On Monday this week I woke up with an itchy, crusty, red eye. I said, "enough," and dragged myself to the doctor.

She checked me out from head to toe, and pronounced that it was most definitely a virus. And, in fact, this virus had given me viral conjunctivitis (pink eye). She suggested I'd be feeling a lot better on Thursday, and I would probably be able to run my half marathon on Sunday, but I had to take it easy.

Because of my race this weekend, she prescribed me general antibiotics. Not because it would help me with my virus directly, but because if I had anything else going on that would theoretically SLOW DOWN my getting over the virus, the antibiotics could help play defense there. She told me if it wasn't for my race this weekend, she wouldn't have given me the antibiotics.

Anyway.... my eye is still pink. My sore throat is mostly gone, I'm still dealing with sinus and runny nose things, but that's about it. I'm still hoping I'll be better in 4 days.



The doctor also gave me Rx pseudoephedrine. Holy cow, that stuff works.

Anyway, that's my status right now. It probably WAS a good thing I stayed home instead of going out for the group run, I understand this virus is pretty fricken contagious, so I could have infected the entire running team if I went. That would have been very bad.

Oh yeah, and I met Rebecca at the Send-Off party! She's really nice! Now I feel silly for declaring that she was avoiding me on purpose. heh.

... and just cause I'm starting to go stir crazy here at home, I made this:


enjoy.


Here's hoping I can run this weekend!

2 comments:

hana said...

Excellent movie! Love the set design too.

jacqueline said...

thanks! it took 6 years to make that set!!

actually that weird cut near the end is cause samwise had to chew on his back leg suddenly, and the plush microbes flew everywhere. It was really dramatic, but got cut from the final version.