Monday, May 5, 2008

B2B...2B pics up + ankle problems

The B2B...2B photos are up. It's a different photo company, so the previews aren't as big... which is a shame... but you can still see me.

Well, ok, maybe not. Here is the starting line photo. I'm actually running next to Sheryl (in green)... but directly behind the girl in the red ball cap. go figure.



And here is a view from the Widmer Brewery/Tasting room of us running along the lower deck WAY UP ABOVE on the Fremont Bridge.



That was probably the coolest part of the run actually. The view from up there was magnificent.

And then they had a couple photographers on the Broadway Bridge, but I guess none at the finish line where Sheryl and I did our cartwheels! dang. So, here are a bunch of me crossing the Broadway Bridge.








And, that's about it.



In other news, 2 weeks ago was tough soccer game for me. For one thing, none of the ladies on my co-ed team were able to come besides me, so it was just me with the guys.... and since at least 2 of 5 field players have to be women, we had to play down 1 on the field the entire game, and I wasn't allowed to sub at all. That made the game extra tricky.

I did well actually. I had a really strong game and was really enjoying myself.. until close to the end of the first half when I stepped in front of the ball to block a shot (from a girl on the other team) on our goal. Well, my foot didn't reach the ground before it blocked the full shot. A totally legal tackle, but the full force of that shot on the side of my foot made my foot act as a lever on my ankle... and the side-to-side range of motion on my ankle is what absorbed the energy of the shot.

and um, I have weak ankles.

I think I said something like, "hold on hold on hold on hold on..." as I crumpled on to the ground to hold my ankle in agony and roll around a bit on the floor with my eyes closed. It really hurt. It would have been worse if I played soccer without ankle braces on, but yeah... it still did a doozie on me. I was helped off the field. There really was only like 20 seconds left in the half be the time I was off the field.

I stripped my gear off that foot and tried putting ice on it... and then poked at it for a while over half time.... and then I decided I had to go back in. Yes, back on the field. Back into the game. I tossed the ice aside and put my gear back on, lacing my ankle brace extra tight. Then I tested my ankle in the box, hopping around and doing little direction changes to make sure it'll be able to hold up.

I was pretty sure I could do it, so I went back into the game. Played a strong second half, no problems really. I could sprint, kick, pass, etc. We of course ended up getting clobbered like 6-3, but not for lack of trying. heh. I got loads of kudos from the other team for my performance, for being able to play through that injury, and for my effectiveness on the field (oh yeah, I even scored the first goal of the night btw).

The next game was getting ready to start and I was asked to sub for a team who didn't have enough ladies show up... I considered it for about 10 seconds before I decided that was a bad idea.

Instead I went to the pub, where I put up and iced my ankle while enjoying my favorite pilsner. It was starting to stiffen up and ache a bit by the time I decided to head home.

I tried wrapping my ankle for bed, but it was uncomfortable, so I ripped the ace bandage off in the middle of the night. The next morning I woke up and noticed that yes, my ankle was a touch swollen.

Can you tell which ankle is swollen? It's a little subtle unless you look closely at the ankle bones.


Here, this photo might help a little:




By that evening the ankle had even gotten more swollen and colorful...




Yeah, the ankle hurt... I hobbled around on it for about a week or more.

No comments: