Wednesday, September 12, 2007

an apple a day...

So, some of you know, I've been dealing with a bout of plantar fasciitis since I began training for the Portland Marathon back at the beginning of summer.

I've tried all sorts of things to make it better, but I decided today to finally take that last drastic measure: I went to the doctor to get a corticosteroid injection.

hehehe, and yes, I photo-documented it. Because I could.

Here is my foot all prepped for the procedure:


Ok, this looks pretty blah and doesn't really tell you much, does it? I took some time to fill in some information so that you have a little more context as to what you are viewing.


There. Does that make more sense now? I whipped out my camera while I was sitting on the exam room table with my foot covered in iodine or whatever (prepped by nurse), waiting for the doctor to come in and give me the injection. There was a mirror on the far side of the room, so I thought I'd capture a little self-portrait while I was at it.


There, on the counter on the other side of the room was the needle the nurse had prepared...


What too small to make heads or tails out of that picture? Ok, I've put together another situational primer to help you see better what you should be noticing.


See, after this the doctor came in and stuck the pointy end into the evil plantar fasciitis bit.

Yeah. It did kinda hurt initially, but since there was a numbing agent mixed in with the corticosteroids, I quickly stopped feeling anything. I was surprised to notice that the doctor had the needle in to my heel almost 2 inches. I only really felt the first inch of it I think.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so graphic. No worries, I didn't photograph the shot.

Anyway, I was surprised it hurt less than I was anticipating. After the shot, the doc cleaned my foot with an alcohol wipe, and then put on the band-aid.

Ta da!


So that was my morning, how was your's?

2 comments:

hana said...

I got up early to go to the lab to get blood taken! We were needle sisters!

jacqueline said...

totally!