Sunday, August 26, 2007

another half marathon!

Total Distance So Far: 211.3 miles

YES! I've passed the 200 mile mark, and completed my second half-marathon distance this month!! Who'd have thunk I could travel that far on foot!?!

The group run this weekend started and ended in Vancouver, WA's Marine Park. I'd never been here before even though it's a very short drive from my house. I found beautiful beaches right on the Columbia River that are very accessible from the trail in the park, and I need to bring my pups back here to go swimming.

The route started with an out and back across the park (3 miles round trip), and then from there in the other direction (west) along Columbia Way to Columbia Shores Blvd over to the trail along the waterfront (access between Beaches and McMenamins restaurants). This trail ends on the sidewalk of Columbia St, and which then curves northward past Esther Short Park (all fenced up for the Wine and Jazz Festival). From there we (the 14 milers) had 2 out and backs... one along Columbia to 20th St and back, and then out along Evergreen over I-5 to Grand (in the historical Vancouver Fort area) and back to Columbia. After these we turned around and retraced our waterfront route back to the Marine Park parkinglot.

Today we also were doing the same route as the walkers. This way we could share aid stations. I understand this will be the case for all our remaining group runs until our event days. It's nice to see how large our team really is.

The weather was low 60's and overcast, but not raining like previously forecasted. I wrapped my knee again, which seems to work in my favor, and headed out on the run with Val. The run was a lot easier than our first 14 miler in the St. John's area. However my knees and hips did begin to ache from the run around mile 8 or 9. We were following a suggestion from Val which she read in the book Marathon by Galloway, that we should take a 1 minute walk break every 8 minutes of running. This was supposed to give us more energy for later in the run, and I think it worked!

Stats...
DISTANCE: 14.0 miles TIME: 3:00:08 minutes AVG PACE: 12:51 minute miles

A pretty good pace considering the frequent walk breaks actually!

3 comments:

hana said...

Great job! I'm glad you're still improving, that's excellent.

jacqueline said...

Thanks for the continued support! Man, some days I feel like the marathon is going to be impossible... other days I think there may be a chance I can do it.

Days like Saturday when I am able to go 14 miles I feel like it's still within reach.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! The marathon is within your reach now. Just don't start off like a jackrabbit.