Friday, August 17, 2007

not exactly the Boston Marathon...

Total Distance So Far: 189.3 miles



Still in Boston, still running around the pretty reservoir. I've been dragging my dad out to help me go running (i.e. be my aid station and make sure I have water at the ready) at 7am both days I've attempted longer runs. Today was a little more overcast than Sunday, and a little more humid... but a pleasant running temperature all in all, maybe mid 70's?

I've spent the greater part of the week on trains and in Philadelphia actually, much of that wearing my foot splint to keep my bad foot stretched appropriated, but my feet have been more sore than usual all week long. I wasn't entirely sure what that would do for my next run. One thing was for sure: I stayed off my feet as much as I could manage this week, even deciding not to play Dance Dance Revolution on my brother's amazing hard pad controller. What can I say? Marathon training is sacrifice.

So Friday finally is here. Since I (once again) am on a plane tomorrow morning to head back to P-town, Friday was the chosen day to attempt the longer run. The TNT group run on Saturday is going 16 miles... so that's what I was shooting for today. Yeah, I didn't make it.

Here is how I did:
(lap 1) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10:29 minutes
(lap 2) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10:38 minutes
(lap 3) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10:48 minutes
(lap 4) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 11:01 minutes
(lap 5) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 11:11 minutes
(lap 6) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 11:54 minutes
(lap 7) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 11:37 minutes
(lap 8) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 11:57 minutes
(lap 9) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 13:09 minutes
total: DISTANCE: 9 miles TIME: 01:42:44 minutes AVG PACE: 11:25 minute mile

Around lap 6 I was starting to ache quite a bit in both my knees. Every step was an effort following this. During lap 9 though, I decided to take a walking break... and noticed as I did so an overwhelming sensation of fatigue, and blackness creeping into my peripheral vision. That seemed VERY wrong, so I decided to cut my run short right there. Sure enough back at the house I weighed myself, and found I had lost approx 3.5 lbs during this run (even though I was drinking water).

That's a dangerous amount of dehydration, and it was a good thing I stopped when I did.
I blame the humidity out here. I should do better once back in Portland. I'm as exhausted and sore right now as I suspect I would be if I had made it all 16 miles in Portland.

It's amazing how hard the humidity hit me. Both of my runs out here ended up being approximately 1/2 of my goal distance. Go figure.

1 comment:

DeDe said...

This is the wierdest experience. I started back at your 1st post and have only made it up to here, Aug 17th, but the suspense is KILLING me! I mean I know you end up completing the marathon, but all these problems you are having with your knee make me wonder how you are ever gonna make it. Yet, I know you do.

I know I should stop commenting and get back to reading, but I can't sit still in my chair with all this angst I have going on. :-)

P.S. That were able to pass up DDR is admirable and a true commentary on your tremendous commitment to this cause. My hat's off to you. I'm not sure I could have been as strong.