Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hello, Boston!

Total Distance So Far: 180.3 miles

I had long-standing plans to visit family on the East Coast this week, so surprise! I'm in Boston this week.

Since it seems to be taking me about 2 weeks to recover from the longer runs... I've decided to attempt running 10 miles on Sunday instead of the 12 miles the TNT Oregon team did on Saturday morning. I missed that group run because I had a flight to catch.

My dad (Massachussets resident) had found a location near his house that seemed pretty good to do my runs at. It's a reservoir with a flat running trail around it, banked with pretty boston-esque benches and lots of trees. He sat down on a bench and happily read a book with a pile of water bottles next to him... I began running around the reservoir in laps. Turned out, one lap was 1 mile!

Here is a picture of the reservoir:

I did have my Garmin with me, but unfortunately it never really did get a good satellite link and was constantly losing it's GPS positioning, so the pace and the distance recorded on my unit was all screwy for this run... but I counted laps and had the timer going....

... so here is how I did:
(lap 1) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10:03 minutes
(lap 2) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 9:47 minutes
(lap 3) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10:40 minutes
(lap 4) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 10:37 minutes
(lap 5) DISTANCE: 1 mile TIME: 14:27 minutes
total: DISTANCE: 5 miles TIME: 55:34 minutes AVG PACE: 11:07 minute miles

During lap 5, my knee (surprise) locked up. That was it for me for the day. After that happened, I walked back to my dad's bench and we went home.

Not my best run, by any means. I do believe it was the humidity or something that messed with my knee. That's just no good. I did just get here the night before at midnight, so it's also possible I was really worn out from sitting on an airplane and in airports for 14 hours. I'll get as much rest as possible this week and try for a long run again on Friday...

No comments: