Tuesday, August 28, 2007

driven to the drink

Total Distance So Far: 215.8 miles

Hehehe, by "driven to the drink" I simply mean I had the yen to go swimming again this Monday.

I showed up to the Columbia Pool again after work, this time by myself, and claimed a lap swimming lane. In the shallower water area there were a bunch of little children (3yrs-4yrs?) doing a first swimming lesson kind of class... involving the singing of songs and lots of laughing while their young parents watched from the side of the pool with large smiles and digital cameras poised.

In the deeper end of the pool there was some sort of senior water aerobics class taking place. I couldn't see what the ladies were particularly doing, but they were hovering in a circle following the instructions of a younger lady. They also seemed to be rather enjoying themselves too.

I like the pool.

I ended up doing the same workout as last time, but found it went faster and was notably easier this week. I might need to up the lap count in order to keep my heart rate nice and elevated for the workout tho.

Warm-up: 4 laps with a kickboard (flutter kick)

Intervals: 2 laps non-stop with a 1 minute break between (x 5, alternating between crawl and breast stroke)

Cool-down: 4 laps with a kickboard (switch between flutter and frog kick)

Hmm... maybe I should consider timing my laps too? That could make things interesting. I'll try that next week perhaps.

5 comments:

hana said...

So how far does all that swimming come out to? A couple miles?

jacqueline said...

I'm assuming if it really does compare to the track session... I'm doing about 4.5 miles.

jacqueline said...

... or I should say the exercise equivalent thereof. Clearly a 400 meters swim is actually 400 meters long. :)

hana said...

I see. So how many meters did you swim? 400? I'm not sure how laps compare to meters.

jacqueline said...

one length of the pool is 25 meters. one lap is 50 meters.

I swam... lessee... 18 laps total, so I swam 900 meters altogether.

Really in terms of actual distances, that would put me at swimming roughly a half mile... or a little over that I suppose.