Tuesday, June 26, 2007

a new regime

Total Distance So Far: 81.0 miles

We are solidly in week 6 of the TNT training now. Among other things this means we are mixing up the weekday training schedules a little.

On Monday at the track session, we started doing "hill ascents." Yep, it's about what you expect... running hard up a slight hill for 100-150 meters, and then jogging down the hill back to the start... these laps are meant to be done nonstop. No rest between laps. For our first day we were supposed to do 8 laps. I knew I'd have trouble counting, so I used the handy "lap" button on my garmin.

I found this hill ascent exercise quite delightful actually, and really enjoyed trucking up the hill repeatedly. It's not as miserable as it sounds. I've been told that's probably cause I'm normally a team sport sprinter tho, so a 150 meter hard run followed by a 150 meter trot is about what an ultimate frisbee game or soccer game is about.

Here are my stats:
warm up...
DISTANCE: 0.59 miles TIME: 5:09 minutes PACE: 8:45 minute/mile

laps...
1) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:13 minutes
2) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:19 minutes
3) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:20 minutes
4) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:20 minutes
5) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:22 minutes
6) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:20 minutes
7) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:23 minutes
8) DISTANCE: 0.17 miles TIME: 1:54 minutes

The last lap gave me a pretty severe side ache that made it hard to breathe, so I had to step off the track a bit on the trot back to the start so I could catch my breath.

cool down:
DISTANCE: 1.74 miles TIME: 18:29 mintes PACE: 10:39 minute/mile

since I only did 1/2 the warm-up, I did a much longer cool down. Thought that would ballance me off a good deal.

Today was weight training... but this 5 weeks we'll be doing less reps and more weight. Plus we are doing slightly different exercises (like seated row). Anyway, it made weight training today a little more interesting than normal.

2 comments:

hana said...

You are doing so well! I'm starting to get intimidated by your progress. I think back to the good ol' days when we both ran around Greenlake and impressed ourselves. I also feel somewhat lame, cause like, I could have kept up with you on my own and improved, but if anything I've gotten a little worse lately. Sigh!

jacqueline said...

eh, nothing i've done so far is out of your reach. I'm still going at 11 minute miles on the longer runs.

plus, I'm totally intimidated at the prospect of doing a half marathon distance in about a month. Couldn't do that now, but I CAN do the 6 mile run on saturday, an hour of interval training on monday, and a 35 minutes run on wednesday... etc.

it's all one day at a time. I guess that's the key.

Believe me, when the 4 mile run was kicking my butt a couple weeks ago, I thought I was insane for doing this.