Saturday, June 23, 2007

a romp around NW Portland

Total Distance So Far: 77.3 miles

This morning was a group run again. Today we were going 8 miles, and actually (for once) going the same distance as the experienced marathon running group. Normally they are going 2 to 4 miles further than us newbies on the group runs.

Val and I carpooled to Sydney's Cafe where we were all meeting up at roughly 7am. It's located on 14th and NW Thurston (more or less under I-405). All the coaches are out of town this weekend for some TNT endurance event, so today was just the mentors and us runners.

The route was a little complicated. From Sydney's Cafe, we ran over to NW Raleigh, up to NW 23rd, over to NW Everett, downtown to Broadway, north 2 blocks to Glisan, back up to 21st, and then back to Raleigh and back the way we came from Sydney's Cafe... and that was only the first 4.35 miles of the run. It took us roughly 48 minutes to get this far. At this point Val and I attacked the aid station TNT had setup. I occupied myself with drinking Gleukos sport drink and massacring gummy bears. Val decided to try the tangerine flavored Power Bar gel they had out for us, and washed the reportedly terrible taste down with water. She said it was simply awful. During the first half of the run, Val and I found ourselves keeping pace with an experienced marathon runner named Nicole. She was very nice, and the three of us had a great conversation as we wound our way back to Sydney's Cafe. We set out on the second half of the run together too.

The second half of the run went the opposite direction towards Front. Once at Front (only 2 blocks from Sydney's), we ran north along Front until we got to Gunderson's (a welding company?) which was the turn around to go back the way we came... back to Sydney's Cafe. This route was kinda dull, less tree cover, and well, frankly lacked sidewalks for a good quarter mile stretch, forcing us to share the road with the semi trucks. A daunting practice.

Nicole, Val, and I chatted on this leg of the run. She is doing the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco which takes place after the Portland Marathon. She ran the Portland Marathon back in 2004, and completed it without walking. Impressive! She thought it was really cool to meet Val and me, and got excited about the prospect of cheering the two of us on when we attempt the marathon in Oct. She may even run a stretch of it with us! That's way cool.

Like last week, the course laid out for us today was actually longer than they told us, so when my Garmin said we had gone 8 miles, all three of us decided to walk the remaining 0.4 miles back to Sydney's Cafe as a cool down. My legs felt like Jell-O on this walk. I blame the gummi treats.

Our run stats:
DISTANCE: 8.05 miles TIME: 1:30:29 AVG PACE: 11:11 minute/mile

Once back, Val and I decided to try Sydney's fare. I had a 12 oz drip coffee, and the most adorable mini cupcake you ever saw, Val enjoyed an iced soy chai. We both have to say, Sydney's Cafe is pretty good. Too bad it's tucked away in such an out-of-the-way location.

We enjoyed our caffeine while sitting in the parking lot amongst other exhausted TNT runners. Sitting down with our tired leg muscles was hard, but not as difficult as navigating steps (up or down). Finally we decided to head out. I dropped Val back off at her house and went home.

I found out after getting home that I actually weighed 1 lbs less than when I woke up this morning. Now... not to get too technical, but I never went to the bathroom between these two weigh-ins, and actually drank a lot of water and ate several snacks.... which means I sweated and/or burned over 1 lbs of water and carbs running 8 miles this morning. That's actually really surprising I think.

Anyway, the good news is altho the plantar fasciitis made it's presence known initially on the run, the pain turned to a dull ache that didn't affect my run I don't think, but more importantly, didn't make my knee hurt! Then again, on Doctor's orders, I've been doing a number of stretches and exercises before bed every night to aid in the healing of the plantar fasciitis and runner's knee symptoms I experienced last Saturday.

Exhibit A


It takes about an hour every night to get through them all. But... as I learned today... totally worth every second.

1 comment:

jacqueline said...

oops, I forgot to also say:
8 WHOLE MILES WITHOUT WALKING!!!! WOOOO!!!

MY LONGEST RUN TO DATE!!!

GO ME!!