Friday, May 18, 2007

just cause

Total Distance So Far: 18.75 miles

Went on a little run afterwork today just to make sure my ankle could hold up to tomorrow morning, and to make sure I didn't lose my ability to run over a mile this week.

I'd never just gone on a random run around my neighborhood before. I'd figured out a couple years ago that a run from my house to a park nearby and back was roughly 1 mile, so whenever I went on a run from home that was the route I'd always take. Since I wanted to go on a longer run today, and didn't feel much like doing 2 laps of that route, I just strapped my Garmin on my wrist and headed out the opposite direction from the park.

I wove around the residential blocks admiring the various old and well-kept houses in my neighborhood and appreciating all the blooming flowers. When I hit half a mile I started making my way in the opposite direction towards that park. At the park my Garmin told me I was at 1.5 miles, so I knew that once back at my house I would be at 2 miles exactly. Sure enough, that's how it worked out. That was a pretty cool impromptu route run. Neat that I can do that kind of thing with my Garmin and run exact distances at the same time!

Today's run stats:
DISTANCE: 2 miles TIME: 21:25 minutes AVG PACE: 10:43 minute mile

That was fun. I should do runs like this more often! I live in a good neighborhood for it, might as well take advantage, right?

No comments: