Wednesday, May 16, 2007

metal grates and other harmless objects

Total Distance So Far: 16.75 mi

So, today the fitness center at my work was hosting a "fun run/walk" at lunch time. I was all excited to participate and was trying to decide how many laps I wanted to do today....


I thought 3 might be a good number, so was getting ready to try that....

on my first lap, about 0.25 miles out, I stepped funny on a metal drainage grate and rolled my ankle.

ow.

I had to sit down for a bit.
After my ankle stopped throbbing, I decided to try walking at least. Since plenty of my coworkers were walking the "fun run/walk" I had some friends to walk with. That was also nice.

After about 1/2 the lap walking, I decided to try running again, and finished up the rest of the lap at a decent pace. The ankle feels perhaps a little stiff, and a little "delicate" but it's functional and not in pain currently... so that's good. I roll my ankles easily anymore after spraining both repeatedly when I played basketball in elementary/middle school. I've had the curse of the weak ankles all my adult life. When I play soccer or ultimate I wear ankle braces to prevent injury, but for some reason I didn't think they were necessary for distance running....

... hm. I should really watch my step when I run from now on.

Anyway, it may not count, but today's stats:
DISTANCE: 1.25 mi TIME: 16:20 minutes AVG PACE: 13:05 minute mile

hum de dum...

2 comments:

jacqueline said...

a little ankle update: I skipped ultimate last night and instead iced the ankle and took some ibuprofin.

The ankle isn't swelling at all, so I'm optimistic it's going to be a temporary set-back.

Oh, and since I didn't take pie to ultimate, I instead ate some. It's really really good!

Michi's Human said...

ate the whole thing?

i'm glad you had enough sense to take care of your ankle. a few years ago, you would have played ultimate anyway